THE LAST FIVE YEARS
Date: 6th March
- On booking there is a General Admission policy in place.
- We will allocate your seat/s in line with the socially distance guidelines to ensure you have a safe and comfortable evening.
- We will email you your seat number and floor location 2 days before the event along with our helpful tips on arrival to the theatre.
Jack Cunningham Productions Presents
THE LAST FIVE YEARS
The Last Five Years is an emotionally powerful and intimate musical telling the story of Jamie and Cathy, two New Yorkers who fall in and out of love over the course of five years.
Jack Cunningham Productions rises from the Covid ashes as they present the Waterford premier of ‘The Last Five Years’. This also marks their Theatre Royal debut. They are delighted to be the first local group to stage a full-scale musical theatre production. Under the creative direction of award-winning Jack Cunningham, this is going to be an unforgettable production.
As aspiring author Jamie gets the book deal of his dreams, actress Cathy struggles to get work and make sense of the way her career has turned out.
Can a couple once united by their dreams, stay connected as their paths begin to divide? Known for its unique structure, The Last Five Years sees their stories told in opposite directions; Jamie moving forwards and Cathy backwards through their relationship, meeting only briefly for a moment in time as their stories cross.
The Last Five Years was written during the two years that Jason Robert Brown toured as the conductor and musical director of the US national tour of another one of his shows, Parade. Distraught with the state of musical theatre style at the time, he wanted to create an emotionally intimate, musically complex piece. Brown's musical style, although it only uses a select number of instruments, draws on a significant number of genres, from classical to rock to klezmer.
- “Jaz-dropping! A gem of a show from Jason Robert Brown.” - New York Magazine
- “I can’t think of any better night out than spending 90 exhilarating minutes with The Last Five Years, Jason Robert Brown’s giddily sorrowful eulogy for a brief marriage.” - Bloomberg News
- “Brimming with persistent melodies, throughout lyrics and a heartfelt, compelling story.” - Associated Press